Friday, July 6, 2007
Thursday, July 5, 2007
Hi Friends and Family,
Welcome to our family blog. While Matt is staying busy playing Dr. Jax and I are looking for new hobbies - I thought we could give blogging a try.
We have officially arrived to the valley of the sun. Since our arrival the tempatures have soared well past the hundreds. A big Thank you to global warming for a hot 115* 4th of July.
Did you know a total of twenty thousand people died in the U.S. between 1936 and 1975 because of the effects of heat and solar radiation. Just a little tid bit. I guess a little morbid. I wish I could add the sound bit that plays after those commercials "The More You Know."
A few observations I have made about Arizonans ( I think that is what they/we are called):
1. Big Trucks. The bigger the better. Most of them are driven by women who way less than 100 lbs.
2. Everyone is thin. I don't know if it is the heat or the lack of hobbies such as eating. I guess coming from Chicago with 6 months of winter we can pack on the pounds and nobody notices.
3. Everyone is tan. I see several elderly women who look like the older woman on Something About Mary. It reminds me to keep wearing sunscreen!
4. Horrible drivers. I guess no matter where we go in the country we can't escape this. A lady tailed me and then flipped me off today for going 5 over the speed limit on a residential street.
5. Everything is brand new. Historic buildings are considered anything built before 1980.
6. Everyone is from the Midwest. Matt & I thought we were sounding exciting when we would tell people we just moved from Chicago. Unfortunately, everyone else is from Chicago too.
That's all for now. On a positive note, everyone has welcomed us with open arms - we have already met wonderful been warm and inviting people.
We have enjoyed being here, despite the heat - we'll be counting our blessings come January.
We love you all. Come back for more updates on the Nugent Family. Next we'll talk about some of Matt's interesting OR stories.
Posted by matt, bekah, jax at 10:53 PM