Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Valley of the Sun

Hi Friends and Family,

Welcome to our family blog. While Matt is staying busy playing Dr. Jax and I are looking for new hobbies - I thought we could give blogging a try.

We have officially arrived to the valley of the sun. Since our arrival the tempatures have soared well past the hundreds. A big Thank you to global warming for a hot 115* 4th of July.

Did you know a total of twenty thousand people died in the U.S. between 1936 and 1975 because of the effects of heat and solar radiation. Just a little tid bit. I guess a little morbid. I wish I could add the sound bit that plays after those commercials "The More You Know."

A few observations I have made about Arizonans ( I think that is what they/we are called):

1. Big Trucks. The bigger the better. Most of them are driven by women who way less than 100 lbs.

2. Everyone is thin. I don't know if it is the heat or the lack of hobbies such as eating. I guess coming from Chicago with 6 months of winter we can pack on the pounds and nobody notices.

3. Everyone is tan. I see several elderly women who look like the older woman on Something About Mary. It reminds me to keep wearing sunscreen!

4. Horrible drivers. I guess no matter where we go in the country we can't escape this. A lady tailed me and then flipped me off today for going 5 over the speed limit on a residential street.

5. Everything is brand new. Historic buildings are considered anything built before 1980.

6. Everyone is from the Midwest. Matt & I thought we were sounding exciting when we would tell people we just moved from Chicago. Unfortunately, everyone else is from Chicago too.

That's all for now. On a positive note, everyone has welcomed us with open arms - we have already met wonderful been warm and inviting people.

We have enjoyed being here, despite the heat - we'll be counting our blessings come January.

We love you all. Come back for more updates on the Nugent Family. Next we'll talk about some of Matt's interesting OR stories.

3 comments:

Angela said...

What cute pictures! I loved reading about your "getting to know Arizonans" experiences so far! We are dying with our 102 heat -- not sure I want to experience 115!! Our yard is done but it's so hot the kids don't want to go outside to play. Hang in there!!! Cant' wait to hear more! Love you!!
Angela

Michelle said...

Hey Bekah - Angela forwarded me your site. I miss that little Jax, he looks so darn cute. Loved your post. You and Angela have inspired me to start my own. xoxo, Meesh

Enjoying my life said...

Hi Rebekah, loved your blog!! I heard on the news that our friends really influence our weight--new study. I didn't realize all Arizona was thin! I guess if I moved there I would have to get a bigger truck and loose a lot of weight. Look forward to seeing you Aug 1!!!!!!!!! AND JAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!