Saturday, September 15, 2007

Michelle Saves the Day

So I've been having one of those feel sorry for myself days. Matt's been at a conference all week and weekend. My normal "weekend" breaks consists of Matt taking over and giving me a few extra hours of sleep or a few hours in the afternoon to run errands without a baby - I live for those breaks! During this year of residency "the intern year" on average Matt is home twice a week before 9 or 10PM. Today I woke up with a positive attitude and was doing pretty good all day. Then tonight Jax had an enormous breakdown and I just starting feeling sorry for myself. I was just on my sister Michelle's blog and saw her most recent post titled "Half Empty or Half Full?" She talks all about teaching her children an attitude of gratitude (I wish I still lived by her so she could teach me that lesson again today). Anyway, she also posted the poem below. It's pretty uplifting and to say the least saved my day. I am blessed to have a husband that works sooo hard. When does he get his "break?" I'm grateful for a wonderful baby who seldom has enormous breakdowns. Enjoy and hopefully you won't need this as much as I did...

BE THANKFUL
Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to? Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn. Be thankful for the difficult times, during those times you grow. Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement. Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character. Be thankful for your mistakes, they will teach you valuable lessons. Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference. It's easy to be thankful for the good things. A life of rich fulfillment come to those who are also thankful for the setbacks. Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings. - Author Unknown

5 comments:

Angela said...

A big hug from me to you!!! I love you!

Chelsea said...

Are you still in town? I am here for another week...and Brianne says she just saw you! I want to see you guys!

Aimee said...

Beautiful poem. Thanks for the postive post.

I appreciate when people show their real self on their blogs rather than the "look-how-perfect-my-life-is" type of blog. Everyone has bad days. I'm sure you are the best mom and wife ever.

Michelle said...

Awww, I'm so flattered. Glad to hear I could help from oh so many miles away (and glad to know the hours I waste on blogging aren't in vain :-). Being a mom is hard when you don't get any time off--hang in there. Love you!

Brook said...

Hey Becka,
I saw that you commented on Katie's blog, and had to see how you were! Of course I am commenting on this post because I really do know how you feel. I have come to the conclusion that a little venting is healthy. The "overwhelmingness" comes in waves for me, and feels good to get it out there, and be over with it, until it comes again.

Great to see your cute little boy, is he a little Matt or what??