Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tribute to Aunt Marge

For those of you who know the Adair family, you know Aunt Marge. Aunt Marge lives in Northern California and just recently retired from a 35 yr+ career teaching school.

I have many special memories of Aunt Marge. I thought I would share a few as a tribute on her birthday.

Aunt Marge has such a passion for math and geophraphy. We took a month long road trip around the US (which is in itself a very entertaining story that I can share another time), Aunt Marge would spend countless hours with Rachel, Sheree, Mike and I reviewing state capitals and times tables. She would use visual mnemonics; creating elaborate stories to help us remember whatever she was teaching us. I still am awesome at times tables and know most of the state capitals.



Next was Christmas, Aunt Marge was Christmas! She would finish teaching school, pack up her rust orange 1970s Buick Skylar and head to Salt Lake. When I say pack up I mean her car would be filled with Christmas gifts for all six of us Adair kids. She would shop weeks before Christmas and find all sorts of gismos, socks, underwear, videos and her classic gift of a case of ramon noodles and macaroni and cheese for each of us. We would each get a special day to wrap presents with Aunt Marge. When Christmas day came she was just as excited as all of us. My parents did a wonderful job of Christmas every year, but Aunt Marge was such an added bonus!

More recently, shortly before Matt and I were married we entertained the idea of buying a "fixer-upper" in the foothill/sugarhouse area. We knew with my Mom's expertise in real estate and remodeling and Matt's "can do" attitude we could have a fun project. Aunt Marge helped us with the financing and expenses of the remodel. Thanks to her and my Mom, Matt and I had a beautiful first home!!

From the "BOOM BOOMs" (her name for the loud thunder), to Aunt Marge's summer school to rationing cheese portions to family vacations - Aunt Marge has been an integral part of our lives.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT MARGE! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

4 comments:

Angela said...

I love these photos! Marge can really do it all! She bought me a phone for my room for Christmas when I was a teenager which was AWESOME! She also gave me the money for my first computer in college. It was such a blessing to have a computer! I loved wrapping presents with her before Christmas -- it was almost as exciting as Christmas itself. And I love how she always made everything special or exciting with her enthusiasm. What a wonderful trio of women we had in our lives -- Marge, Mom and Grandma!!

Aimee said...

That is such a nice tribute. I really love people that can make this kind of impact on people. She sounds like something special.

Brianne said...

I love aunt Marge!! Bekah you look so cute in these pics!! That was really nice of you to make such a tribute!!

Katie said...

I love those pics they are so great, cute little reba. I so remember Aunt Marge. So glad to see you blog, miss you wish you were back in Cali.